Old 02-08-23, 10:59 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
The only thing I know about hookless rims is that hooked rims are a relatively modern innovation. Back when I started riding road bikes, hooked rims were unheard of. Everyone ran 1-1/4 X 27" tires on hookless rims. I've blown wire-rim tires off those rims using gas station air hoses, at about 120 lbs. IIRC. So if the article up-thread in post 77 is correct, your tubeless tires won't get hot enough from braking to blow off. Maybe. That article also said that running lower pressure was worse for blow-offs. It's complicated. The idea that hookless is better because you "can" run lower pressures seems funny to me. What's the difference? More likely it is that you "have to" run lower pressures and this is being presented as an advantage. Of course.

I was on a ride featuring a winding high speed descent where a rider rolled their rear sew-up off the rim. Luckily there was a grass verge for comfortable sliding. So that can happen. I don't know what his gluing procedure was, so there's that. I was behind him but he went off so fast it wasn't an issue.