Old 02-26-23, 10:31 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
It is funny that RUSA does not have any medals for sale that are performance based. When I started randonneuring pre-RUSA, time was the only thing riders talked about.
It doesn't surprise me, the people that say randonneuring is not a race have won control. It's in the RUSA handbook. I can respect that viewpoint, but if it's not a race why are there time limits? I don't think it should be more like a race, but fast times are definitely celebrated. OTOH, the organizers of PBP were so disgusted by the fast people one year they threatened not to publish the top results. But I'm not sure they ever did that, you can find the fastest riders listed, and not just in the big book. I thought they had a ceremony for the top riders as well.

Originally Posted by jlippinbike
Maybe we don't need another award at all? Maybe the RUSA SR series award just needs to have its own icon on a member's results page? As it stands now only the ACP SR series award has its own icon.
I don't think there ever will be a RUSA SR reward. They don't tend to have overlap in awards. Since almost all of the 300+ km rides are ACP, the overlap would be almost 100%. They aren't likely to make an award that is won by only one or two people in a given year like would happen if it only counted non ACP rides. Their criteria for awards is something that is interesting to a lot of people and gets them to ride more. Note that they have never accepted Jan Heine's awards. I imagine they would if there were more people earning his awards, even though they are performance based. I don't think anyone wants them to accept the Adrian Hands award, even though almost everyone wants to be in that exclusive club. It's also PBP based.

They could have the Unterhausen award for the person that does an SR series with less than an hour time in hand left at the end total for the series. Or as someone asked me when I finished a 400k with less than 15 minutes left, "why the rush?" The year before, I finished 2 600k, one with 5 minutes left and one with zero minutes left. I don't recommend it.

Last edited by unterhausen; 02-26-23 at 10:51 AM.