View Single Post
Old 03-02-23, 12:45 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by ryan_rides
This is something I struggle with. Not sure why but I have to actively think about dropping my heels throughout my pedal strokes. I usually don’t do it. I have a bike fit. My bike is comfortable to me. I just know that you’re supposed to drop your heels and recently a rider last Saturday told me that I should drop my heels while riding. Is there a way to train myself to change my pedal strokes so that it becomes natural?
So I've been doing it all wrong the past 200,000 miles? Never got the word. Never paid attention to my heels. Most of the time my foot keeps a constant angle, toes down throughout the pedal stroke. I vary that angle and hence knee bend some as I ride but pay little attention. And it works.

If you look at the pro peloton, you will see many different foot angles. There is no one "correct" way to ride. Some of the most famous riders ever had very different styles. Our challenge is to find what works for us. If you have to work too hard at doing a particular style, it may not be the best for you.

Now, if you can find a pedal stroke that enables you to drop all the "heels" (undesireable riders) on your group ride - fine tune it!

Edit: Answering an old post. Guilty as charged.