Old 03-10-06, 11:28 PM
roughbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Being Creative

Hello Everyone,
I am new to the forum and have found internet forums to be really helpful to life... Anyways enough friendly talk and on to the project.
I am stuck between going road bike or mountain bike. I have a buddy that's constantly trying to get to me do a 24 hr race. I got a used mountain bike (a and maybe the only honda) to exercise and was using it instead of driving. But when I tried it on a trail near my house I could barely make it up hills and sometimes didn't. I thought I just was in bad shape until a biking friend put my bike in his truck and complained about how heavy it was.
So I went on a hunt for a lighter bike. I found this purple GT that weighed nothing and I got it for $15. It is an old bike from nineties that is some sort of aggressive mountain bike. I road the bike as normal transportation and it took me half as long too get there as it did with the honda!
I decided that I wanted to learn about bike mechanics so that I didn't have to pay the bike shops high fees. I took the bike apart, cut all the cables (maybe a mistake), and sanded the frame. I decided to be creative and I sprayed the frame with black truck bed liner. I thought it would be cool and I like it.
Now I am stuck here. I want to buy some new components and make the bike as much as a hybrid as possible. I want to be able to still ride it as transportation and take it out on the trail once in a while (oh and maybe do triathlon). I am not expecting the perfect bike just a decent one.
Is this at all possible? What cables, components, etc do you recommended? I am okay with shopping around online and stuff I am in no hurry. I just want to make it a decent ride so that if I can get a feel for road riding and mountain biking and see if the addiction kicks in on either.
Thanks for having me in your forum and for any help.