View Single Post
Old 03-16-23, 08:47 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
this does not add up. this cot is too heavy. 4.4 pounds for a cot + 1 pound for a bivy with appropriate netting , 1 pound for a sleeping pad = 6.4 lbs

compared to your current tent and pad at 4.5 lbs you are adding more weight. Additionally, bivy sacks are guaranteed to hold condensation enough to make trips longer than one nighters very difficult because your sleeping bag will be wet and will lose insulating value. You would need to dry your bag and, being in Alaska, that is not a guarantee to count on sunshine on the day after your trip.

Additionally in mosquito prone environment a bivy is for the hardcore dudes. Even though the mosquitoes may not get inside your bivy (if you get a bivy with netting) you will hear them landing and buzzing right next to your ears all night. Fun stuff.

Originally Posted by Imaginos
My tent and pad come in at 4.5 lbs. The tent is tiny and the pad is not that effective.I found a fold up cot that also weighs 4.5 lbs.I’m thinking my down bag inside a bivy sack(that I have and have never used) on a cot might be more comfortable than the tent.I plan on being a fair weather bike camper for the most part so this might be ideal.Any thoughts?

$100
Likes For PedalingWalrus: