Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by irish pat
Thanks, I got a savage deal on the bike, theres no way that I could get as good value in a higher end, and it wouldn't have the upgrades that make a difference, I feel.

Ive read good reviews about the suspension and have the same fork on my current epic, just less travel. Upgrading suspension seems to be the most expensive place to start though? The axs can be upgraded for e400, so that's relatively small.

The crank on it weighs 800g, from what I can see, I might be able to get one that is 600g for e150 +-

There's nothing I can pull off the current bike that's light, they are all the same really. It had the brain, that was what sold it for me, but my riding style/preference has changed.
I thought that bike came with the Reba RL. That’s fine, nothing great. MC damping is on the primitive side by modern standards.

If you want to know what’s actually going to make a difference in performance, that fork would be number one on my list.

Wheels are also a fine investment. Personally, I’m not going smaller than 30mm internal width anymore, but I also like to run tires in the 2.3-2.5 range. I saw Nobl wheels mentioned. I got a set built with the TR37 rims (~30mm). For a bike like yours, I think something built with the TR35 rims would be awesome. Also 30mm, but lighter weight.

Also: tires. Make sure the tires you have are the best for your application and style. Spec make good tires, but having the right tire is the most important thing.

I rank drivetrain stuff pretty low on priority, and spending 150 Euros to simply save 200g with no other performance advantage is not the best use of upgrade funds on that bike, IMO. I would say the same thing about electronic shifting. It’s nice, but it does not affect your ride the way the other things I’ve mentioned do.