View Single Post
Old 03-19-23, 11:00 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
have you Found replacement sealed ball bearings in the correct size? i looked around for a half hour this time, and once before...
what did the threaded aluminum Housings look like after you got the bearing assemblies out?
did you extract the plastic bore /seal parts without damaging them?
was the price per bearing, x 2 + shipping, lower than the 20 to 30 dollars per new, pre-lubed, BB assy?
did you make an installer tool then press fit them into a heated housing, or just smack them into the heated housings?
were the aluminum threads damaged by your failed attempts to install the new bearings, or did you get lucky?
what grade LocTite did you use and did you thoroughly clean the threads before applying the LocTite??

i'm all about finding bargains in my co-op shop.. i couldn't find those bearings anywhere, including from the largest bearing wholesaler in Portland. (Gxp or Hollowtech)
Let everyone know if you do find them, ok? And update us on what kinds of hoops you jumped through to rebuild a part described as non-rebuildable by most manufacturers.

the bearings are not "all the same size",.and are a special grind to achieve the correct tolerances when installed and lightly side loaded.
What MODEL BB assy are you wanting to rebuild? there are Several different styles/manufacturers.......

buy the new BB assy that will fit your crankset.

Last edited by maddog34; 03-19-23 at 11:46 PM.