View Single Post
Old 03-22-23, 07:41 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
.... I just don't believe you've made yourself completely immune from the effects of glare, but even if you have, eyes are not standard issue and I have some idea that people's corrections, defects, etc. may make them differently suited to handle the effects of glare.
There are so many factors. I had a 1966 Ford Econline van for many years. The windshield was nearly flat and huge. I do not recall having any real issues with sun blinding me in that vehicle. I now have a 2003 Toyota Camry. There were two days last year where I had to drive a street in a local park, 20 mph limit, with my head out the drivers window for about 1/8 mile directly into the rising sun on a day with ground fog that kept my windscreen soaking wet. Wipers just smeared the moisture around as it accumulated in milliseconds. Also the posts between front doors and windshield are TERRIBLY positioned.

My point is: So many variables exist. Eyesight, uncorrected astigmatism, eye "floaters", windshield angle and size, dirt on the windshield, worn wiper blades, motorist height and seat positioning, polarized vs. non polarized sunglasses - my Camry could not be safe for me without polarized sunglasses. My van was never an issue. Must be other factors I'm just not thinking of.

Apparently at least one person here on A&S has a perfect car and perfect eyesight and therefore no point of reference.