View Single Post
Old 03-23-23, 12:55 PM
MooneyBloke

Bikes: Two Peter Mooney customs, a 1980 Trek 510 townie, a Marin Stelvio set up for TTs.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Here's the thing, C&Vers will scoff at modern tech because what they rode in their youth is perfectly fine. But those exact same C&Vers will scoff at tech older than their youth. Consider them as wall hangers.
You over generalize. In my youth, the great bikes had DT friction shifters with the occasional odd bird running SunTour barcons. When I had Peter Mooney make my bikes, I spec'ed Ergopower controls. I was very happy to have a set of controls that never distracted me from what was in front of the bike and let me shift when standing on the pedals. Having had a Campag friction lever slip and dump me into a bad gear during a race, I had no particular nostalgia to stay with DTs.

The issue I have with modern tech is that it seems to complicate the bike and shove a very expensive purchase more in the direction of being a consumable. For instance, in younger days, I snapped a nine year old Galli crank. But the design of forged cranks got much better. The 1991 Athena that replaced it is finally giving up the ghost after a life of continual use and multiple chainrings. I expect my 2000 era Record cranks to outlast me. In contrast, I was just watching videos documenting failures of modern Ultegra and DuraAce cranks based on their construction. I watched another video showing bad design in the modern SuperRecord crank. When I was younger, we called such design Stupid Light as opposed to Super Light. There are places you should spend your grams if you expect your bike to last. Maybe it's OK when your bike gets changed out annually from sponsorship, but that's just not the case with the majority of riders.

Last edited by MooneyBloke; 03-23-23 at 01:08 PM.
Likes For MooneyBloke: