Old 03-24-23, 02:42 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by dennis336
Apologies if this appears twice. Didn't see it show up after I first submitted so trying again.

I tried changing the cassette on my 2014 Surly Disc Trucker. Got the old one off fine and installed the new one. I used the Park Tools TW6.2 torque wrench set to 40nm to tighten. First time I used it and I think I messed up. As I tightened, I heard loud clicking sounds like I heard when first removing the cassette so I kept going, thinking I'd hear the distinctive torque click (I've used the lower pressure Park Tools torque wrench to tighten the handlebar/stem bolt and hear that clear 'click' when the torque was reached.

In any event, I kept putting pressure on the torque wrench until it wouldn't turn anymore. This is where I realized I may have overtightened. So .... I tried un-tightening (using a different wrench and chain whip) but couldn't get it to budge. I put (for me) quite a bit of pressure and finally stopped since I didn't want to do any further damage. I put a new chain on and took it for a light spin around my neighborhood, shifting through all the gears and it seems to shift fine.

Should I be worried about it being over-tightened? It'll be years until I'll need a new cassette given the miles I ride this bike but I don't want to risk a serious failure when I'm out on a rural gravel road (that's generally how I use my Surly, don't do any touring now).

Do you think I may have damaged the torque wrench by over-tightening?

Thanks for any insights ... I really want to learn bike maintenance but I really am awful at it :-(
You probably haven’t done too much damage. I would probably just leave it in place until you need to change the cassette in the future just in case you damaged threads on the lock ring or freehub body but, for the most part, just let sleeping dogs lie.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute: