Old 03-26-23, 02:17 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Clyde1820
IMO, in similar sizes the Surly would have a more-solid, smoother ride (given its chromoly frame), about ~35mm greater stack and ~20mm less reach required (comparing the 54cm frames), along with more than 3" greater stand-over height. You'd get the potential for a much wider tire, hence, possibly a cushier (and perhaps even quicker) tire.

I suspect it'll be a bit slower for the same essential effort, along a route. But I suspect it'll "beat you up" somewhat less than the FX3 might otherwise do.
I had a 2006 LHT and I loved it. I’m still annoyed it got stolen cause it was absolutely my own dumb fault. But no, it’s not going to be notably more comfortable than an aluminum hybrid, at least when unloaded or lightly loaded. That’s the price you pay for good handling with a heavy load. On the plus side, the 26” LHT is still a pretty fun bike to ride. The small wheels make it feel less slow and sedate than you’d expect.

Originally Posted by flangehead
I used a FX3 as a daily commuter for about 12 years until it developed a crack in the frame near the bottom bracket.

I replaced it with a steel tourer. Though I’ve only got about 4 years on it so far, I expect it to be more durable than the aluminum frame. ​​​​​
Plenty of steel frames will crack from that much use! I have no idea if one is more durable than the other, but I’ve known of multiple Surly frames, for example, that cracked at the chainstay or seat tube near the bottom bracket from years of use. Just about anything can be ridden enough to break.
Likes For grolby: