Old 03-31-23, 07:40 PM
Thalia949

Bikes: Masi Gran Crit, Bianchi Campione D' Italia 84, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Ibis Ripley, Co Motion Tandem, Merlin Agilis, Ritchey Breakaway, Bianchi Infinito CV, Colnago Master

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
A Huret FD was OE, and is almost a requirement for these short wheelbase (curved seat tube) models, due to the almost-vertical angle of the tube where the FD attaches.

With most FDs, that would rotate the whole mech clockwise/forward, causing the back of the cage to be too high. Then the chain drags there when using the small chainring and some of the smaller rear cogs. But the Huret cage uniquely bolts to the parallelogram arms in a way that lets you space the cage rearward.

Note, I recommend replacing the front brake pads immediately. The rubber pads are only glued to the finned holders, and the glue has been known to come loose. Actually pretty often, from all the reports I've heard of this over the years. I saw it happen once myself too. When the pad falls off, you have zero front brake. People have reported that it happened all at once with no warning.

Too bad, because those pads are original equipment, and wicked cool. Just not for riding.

Here's the '78 spec sheet. Note the FD is called out as a Huret Success, which is what you have.

The only parts I see that are not original are the rear seatpost and rack, and the foam grips.
The brazed-on water bottle mounts were an extra-cost option.
Funny that they used a "superlight" aluminum TA bottle cage on a 45 pound bike. I'm not judging! But chrome-plated steel would probably be more appropriate, and put the sweet TA cage on some other, lighter bike.

Enjoy!
Mark B
thanks bulgie for the spec sheet. And a bigger thanks from me and my stoker for the recommendation on the front brakes. The hill from my house is 12%, and having the front brake fail is excitment I can do without.

I'll probably remove the bottle cage and use it on another bike. You are right about the weight difference, it is really a who cares on the bottle cage.
Likes For Thalia949: