View Single Post
Old 03-12-06, 02:16 AM
JonathanG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[I wonder if cutting the backend will work just as well with some minor modification to allow attachment to the frame. As I mentioned earlier, my steel frame has no eyelets so should I assume that I won't need them if I use zip ties.]

If you're going to cut the rear fender but want to attach the fender to the frame you might as well not cut them at all (which, having cut mine too much, is my advice). The point of cuttiing the fender is not to have the seatpost avoid hitting the fender when the bike is folded -- even when fenders are cut back as much as mine are the post will hit the fender. Rather, the point is to allow the seatpost to press the fender down against the rear wheel to lock the wheel and crank in place. If you use the stays, which you eaisly can attach to the seatstays using zipties (http://www.mindspring.com/~d.g1/ziptie.htm), you'll either have to deal with your rear wheel's being able to rotate after the bike is folded or be willing to loosen the stays. Given the PB design, loosening and tightening the stays is really easy; you don't need tools.

Jonathan