Old 04-18-23, 10:28 AM
LeeG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by JDFLood
I have been a bike enthusiast for over sixty years… I’m now 70. I have 4 custom road bikes… touring oriented… and a couple more… I still ride around 3,000 miles a year. I am seventy years old and my neck is not as flexible as it used to be. I ride a Specialized Global to the store two or three times a week. 5 - 10 miles. It has an integrated lock and lights. But when my pannier baskets are full, it is increasingly hard to throw my leg over the bike. It is also not upright enough and not a step through. I want a high quality step through bike that I can equip with baskets… high performance and wide range gearing. I am used to top of the line derailures. I do not want an electric bike. I’d like to wait another ten years for that. I’m thinking $3K - $4K

I only find really inexpensive stuff or e-bikes.
Rivindell ClemSmith. High performance doesn’t exactly coincide with a grocery getter but knock youself out with a Rohloff rear wheel for another $2000 to meet your budget needs.

Marin Larkspur was my first thought but the super long chainstays on the Clem make it an excellent rear pannier carrier. I’ve had one for three years. I haven’t ridden the Larkspur but it looks like it would work

Last edited by LeeG; 04-18-23 at 10:42 AM.