View Single Post
Old 05-01-23, 08:40 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I started this thread to remind folks of just how invisible we are. If you haven't experienced the "jigsaw piece" effect you might try the experiment.

But staying safe is more than being visible. For example some of my closest calls involve what I call slow thinkers. I'm sure we've all met the folks who, in all fairness, are careful and conscientious, but......

You're approaching an intersection, and a car is there, either waiting to enter from the right, or coming and waiting to make a left. He's there, and there's plenty of time. So, he looks left & right carefully, and after verifying all is good, he goes. The problem is that by the time slow thinkers confirm that it's safe, it no longer is.

IME slow thinkers may be the RD worst out there. I'm used to and can adjust to rude or blind drivers, but slow thinkers make a good show of waiting until you accept that they've decided to wait. That's when they go.

IMO the key is to operate like there's you're an AWACS plane tracking every car in the area, and being ready to react not only to are likely to do, but every possibility of what they might do.
Perhaps the person whom I T-boned on my motorcycle was one of those slow thinkers. He actually came to a full and complete stop, and had been stopped for a second or two before pulling out right in front of me.