View Single Post
Old 05-16-23, 01:07 PM
campfire

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by cat0020
Honestly, for $1700; is there a better value for the money?

Does the XPediton have any significant lack of performance when compared to $3-4k (or more) cargo ebikEs?
Obviously, I thought it was the best value in the $2k price range. Still do. I have not ridden any of the more expensive cargo ebikes, so I can't compare. But I can say, performance-wise, this has drastically faster acceleration than the Vista Cruiser or the Flyer L882 that we tested. Compared to my home-built non-cargo ebike (1000W nominal), it's slightly faster off the line but pretty similar overall. It's also a class 3 bike, so the top speed is higher than some of the competition.

We've liked the cargo bike enough to consider buying a second one. My preference would be to try something different just for variety's sake. The Aventon Abound or the Blix Packa look like good deals, but they're both advertised as class 2 bikes (~20MPH instead of ~28MPH). After a few years of commuting on my homemade class 3 bike, I'm not sure I want to step down to a class 2. Sometimes the extra speed is quite useful. So I might wind up with a second XPedition (at some point down the road).