Old 09-03-00, 11:17 AM
JMCraig
Middle-aged Member

Bikes: Touring, Road, Mtn, Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How to choose from things that are the same...

I've been in the same situation with both me and my wife at different times trying to choose from brands with similar features.

Actually, most bikes which cost about the same are likely to have similar characteristics and quality so it's not a surprise. Here's my suggestions:

o Buy from the shop that seemed better. (The one problem here is that employee turn-over at shops is generally pretty high so this may not be of much use a year from now when you need something fixed or a new accessory.) Talk to the guy who owns/manages the shop for the Bianchi if you can and see if he's appropriately customer-service oriented. E.g. ask how he chooses employees. The Novara is presumably an REI shop so all you can do is talk to the employees at the bike portion.

o Another thought is to look at the adjacent bikes in the line of each shop (the one's just more or less in price). In many lines, there's a value "sleeper" that has many good points and only a small drop in one area (e.g. has the same frame as the next model up but has just cheaper derailluers or brakes). If that doesn't give you anything, you've found your models.

o If all else fails, buy the one that comes in the color you like best!

o Flip a coin--don't use the results--just use it as a measure of which one you really want!

Good luck,

J