Thread: New LHT build
View Single Post
Old 03-14-06, 01:07 PM
Johnny Vagabond
Johnny Vagabond

Bikes: 2006 Surly Long Haul Trucker, 2005 Surly Pugsley, 2004 Surly Karate Monkey with an Xtracycle,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by metal_cowboy
Do yourself a favor and get a 62cm frame. I am 6'4" with a 34" inseam and I ride a 62cm LHT. The fit is good. If they made a 63 or 64cm frame I would buy it, but as it is, the 62cm frame is working good.

Here is a shot of my bike.
I was wondering: I'm around 6'1", and my inseam is around 34" as well, but I sat on a few Bianchis (Veloce and San Jose, respectively) and I found myself comfortable with a 58cm frame with the San Jose and a 59 with the Veloce. The Standover on the 60cm San Jose is 34", while the 58cm is 32.8"; Veloce's 59cm was 31.7 while the 63cm is around 33".

My Point: I do like a slightly smaller stand over height (I'm a mountain biker at heart), which is why I prefered the smaller sizes in he Veloce and the San Jose. However on a Long Haul Trucker, the standover heights with the 58 and 60 cm versions are well below the 60 cm San Jose, which put the top tube pretty close to deez nuts.

My Question: Seeing as how I'm mostly leg (i.e. I'm not 6'4", I'm 6'2"!), and since you have a built LHT in front of you, would it be better to get a larger frame, at the expense of standover height? I can understand that I'll be in the saddle more often than standing over the top tube, but it's still a concern. Thanks!