View Single Post
Old 03-14-06, 03:48 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by babysaph
I think I can use all of the gearing. Want to put new brakes on it and fenders and handle bars. If I use panniers. Should I put them on the front or back. Only need one set.
Why don't you put up a picture of your Raleigh? That might help us give the best advice we can! Focus on the whole bike first, then the brakes, then the chainstays and axle dropouts, and the fork. That will give us a good idea if you have a longer wheel base or shorter wheelbase Mountainbike. The suggestion of a trailer is a good one as it reduces the percieves weight on the bike. I run front and rear panniers both, myself as well as a trunk bag if I need more bag space. I also use a bar bag. My rear pannies aren't expedition panniers, but instead are a set of Banjo Brothers commuter bags that Banjo sent me to evaluate on a field trial. By the way, they are roomy and really nice for commuter bags! They are a bit small for epic tours like riding from Paris to Moscow or across the USA, but for weekenders or up to a week in a 4 pannier config they are pretty good!
http://www.banjobrothers.com/products.php is the link to their site if you are interested. They have a nice taper in the front that allows my size 14(US SIZE) gunboat feet to clear the panniers on a MTB frame.
Welcome to the world of touring! Done right, it can be an adventure you remember positively for the rest of your life!

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant