Old 03-18-06, 02:41 PM
nik

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Comatose51
I currently have a decent bike (Cannondale R700) but am looking to upgrade to a better one because the fit on my current bike isn't as good as I would like.

So, I'm thinking about building my own bike next time to really immerse myself in the sport and get the bike the way I want it to. So a few questions:

1. How difficult is it? The most mechanically challenging thing I've ever done on my bike was to adjust the derailleurs and their low and high limits. On the other hand, I am pretty good at picking up on things like that (work in IT, built my own PC, etc.)

2. What's a good way to learn and get started? Is there a good book? I already have Zinn's book on bike repairs.

3. How much extra equipment do you need to buy? I have a small toolkit and plan on buying a work stand (any recommendations?). What else do I need?

4. How can I ensure a good fit? I know close to nothing about bike geometry.

5. Where do you order your parts?

Thanks.
1. No, it's not difficult if you have the right tools.
2. You learn by doing. Practice removing parts and putting them back on your c-dale. Replace cables and housing. Put on a new chain. As you get more confident then start fiddling with the bottom bracket and headset. The book you have is a good reference. Also see www.parktool.com for free instruction.
3. A good bike stand is important. Search the threads for that one. You can buy a complete tool set or you can buy the proper tool for the job as you go.
4. The million dollar question. Use your c-dale as a reference. What don't you like about it? What kind of riding do you like?
5. I've ordered parts from Nashbar.com harriscyclery.com performancebike.com airbomb.com (don't recommend them) I've also bought parts and tools from my LBS.

Good luck. It's a lot of fun and addictive and expensive