Allister
Devilmaycare Cycling Fool

Bikes: 1998 Cannondale F700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by gedanken
I commute through relatively busy downtown streets laden with stoplights. Most of the stoplights are timed so that I don't have to lose momentum. Sometimes I'll come up to a long line of double-parked cars at a red light, or maybe a red light that has just turned green. Since, I like to be at the front of the pack when the light turns green else I will not be able to make it to the next light in time, as well as wanting to maintain momentum if the light has just turned green, I simply ride through the space between two cars. I can hold a line and am not in danger of hitting any mirrors, etc. Does anyone else do this? Is this considered illegal or bad cycling behavior?
I do it all the time, but I did make a thorough check of the road regs here to make sure it was legal. In the absence of a law specifically stating whether I can or can't I had to make a bit of an interpretation of other relevant regs and came to the conclusion that it is legal here in Queensland. Your location might be different.

My interpretaion is that if cars are allowed to pass me in the same lane, then I'm allowed to do likewise to them, and I can do this in whatever lane I deem appropriate, or 'practicable' as the regs put it. I've done it in plain view of police cars and never been brought to task over it - although that may be because they couldn't catch me in the traffic even if they wanted to

The name for this practice is 'lane-splitting' and can be a useful tool in the commuter's armoury. It's my experience that it is often much safer and quicker than taking the kerbside or the footpath if the lanes are narrow.

One thing to look out for, though, is cars leaving gaps in front of them. It usually means they're letting a car turn across the lane into or out of a side street. Slow down, keep your eyes open and be ready to stop for them.

<colourful anecdote>
There was a spot on a route I used to take where I'd get three lanes of traffic backed up at a light at the bottom of a smallish hill. If I timed it right I'd be able to scream past all the cars in the lane-split and hit the light just as it turned green. Sometimes it'd turn green a little eearlier so I'd be between the traffic as it was starting to move. It was a bit like the Death Star trench run except with moving walls (and no laser turrets shooting at me ), and spitting out of the traffic at the light would often prompt me to give a big Lando Calrissian holler a la Return of the Jedi. I would only get this rarely, maybe once a fortnight, but it was a little bonus thrill on an otherwise dull ride.
</colourful anecdote>

Originally posted by gedanken
Another thing I do on large (4 or 5 lane) one way boulevards is ride on the left side of the road on the dividing line between lanes. I do this because I need to make a left turn eventually and if I wait until I get too close to the turn it becomes congested with traffic and is difficult to cross. I don't ride right on the left side because it is reserved for left turns only. So what ends up happening is cars will pass me simultaneously on both sides. Like I said I can hold a line, and maintain about 18-20 mph on my mtb. I was wondering if this is considered safe?

Thanks for all replies. I'm new to commuting on busy streets and want to stay safe. [/B]
Only you know if this is safe, but from what I've read, you're fine.

I'm a little unclear on the situation though. If you're turning left, why not use the left turn only lane? The trick, as it seems you've already figured out, is to get into the lane you want early enough to make sure you have time to do it. If you leave it too late and have to slow down it only makes it all the more difficult and dangerous.

If you've got the nerve for it, having cars pass on both sides shouldn't be a problem.

If you're new to commuting on busy streets the only thing I'd advise you to really beware of is overconfidence. Keep your wits about you and don't take ANYTHING for granted. Personally I enjoy busy roads, and the busier the better, but we all have our own particular little perversions (I've never understood ChrisL's obsession with headwinds, for example )

Last edited by Allister; 08-28-01 at 12:58 AM.