View Single Post
Old 03-21-06, 11:02 AM
EmmCeeBee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zippeddedoda
On top of my trunk I am going to carry a sleeping bag and tent (secured with bungee cords).
As for the tires, your comfort will suffer but it's not such a big deal to go with what you have.

My choice would be 28mm, but if you don't want to spend the money now, just ride the 23's until they wear out (cross-country, you'll definitely wear through one or two sets). When you go to replace 'em, then you'll have a better idea on what to get.

If you have the money and the inclination, put on 25's or 28's now and save the 23's for future around-town riding. Or bring 'em as spares (you should seriously consider this -- it's a long ride between towns).

I agree with ahemmelg about comfort (both wider tires and "tour vs. mtn bike"), but why not judge for yourself. Your weight and load isn't that much for those tires. One thing to be aware of is your rim width; if you have very narrow rims (which you might, with 23's mounted), they might be problematic with wider tires. If these are the stock rims, I'm sure they're OK (for width -- I don't know about strength).

As for "a rack bag with tent etc. on top with a bungee cord": major mistake. A tent sitting directly on the rack might be OK with a bungee cord, but teetering that weight on top of a trunk bag is inviting gravity to wreak havoc. Bungee cords notoriously let things shift around, and having things slip off or into the rear wheel would not be a pretty sight. Carrying things piled vertically like that adversely affects your center of gravity -- but that's your call. At the very least, use cinch straps to attach your load (like the kind you find with the backpacks in a camping store).

-- Mark