View Single Post
Old 03-23-06, 03:59 PM
Cycliste

Bikes: Surley LHT, Cannondale R1000, IBEX Ignition, Bianchi Boardwalk, KHS Milano Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabloink
How wide of a view do you have with the helmet/eyeglass mounted mirrors?
Don't be mistaken by the size of the mirror (the one I use is 1.5" x 1"), because it is 3 to 4 inches from your left eye, it gives you a much wider angle view than a much larger mirror fitted on your handlebar or fork. Much wider than the view you get from a car rear view mirror for the same reason. + you can eliminate dead spots with a slight head turn, something a bar mirror does not allow.

At first, it takes a little adjustment, both for position and use. It took me a few days to exercise my eyes to change focus (something to think about for people with vision problems) but it works great now. I have it in a position that allows me to see something's coming without even looking in the mirror, kinda in the corner of my eye.

Another thing I had to deal with at the beginning: the mirror was on my line of vision when I turned my head to scan back, that is also something I was able to correct by bending the mirror's arm and placing the mirror a little lower. (arm is purposely bendable but remains rigid enough to prevent vibrations).

Last edited by Cycliste; 03-23-06 at 04:01 PM. Reason: typo