Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A Little Trouble in Paradise

Out today for my fourth ride on Sparky, my new (used) 2004 Giant Cypress SX. (Sorry, Big Paulie, I couldn't quite get my arms around your name suggestion! Speedo indeed!)

Anyway, I'd been marveling at how quiet the bike is. Even when coasting, not a peep. Suddenly, ten miles into an 18 mile loop, I notice I'm hearing a clink on every revolution of the cranks. I also feel a slight vibration in my left pedal at the top of the cycle, which coincides with the clink.

A quick look-see on the side of the road reveals nothing to my untrained eyes. I keep going, and notice that the creaking clinking noise sometimes stops when I'm in the smallest chainring up front, but not always. Changing gears in back seems to make no difference.

So, I made it home without incident, and now I have to figure out How to Address Crank Noises. I've done a search and saw some great suggestions, plus, of course, I have the bicycle maintencne book with Lots of Pictures. I'm just a bit gunshy, based on my adventures trying to reverse the handlebar stem!

Otherwise, the bike is performing right up to my hopes/expecations. My butt and the saddle appear to have already worked out most of the details on a non-aggression pact, my wrists and hands no longer tingle after I adjusted the saddle and the handlebars. Only remaining problem is some tingling in the feet after about 7-8 miles, but even this is fairly innocuous.

Just hated hearing that CRANK CLINK! Sigh!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay