View Single Post
Old 03-26-06, 02:26 PM
bikeynewbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, thanks. Yeah, I'm mixed on the hub gears because of the lack of choice and cost. But they seem better for the technically-challenged and also cleaner, easier to change gears, etc.... I hadn't thought of a used Brompton. Just figured any Brompton would be more than I would care to spend on a first folder. Because I'm small, weight is not insignificant, nor is ease of folding. Not too many hills to contend with, but somewhat crummy road conditions. I don't want to go cheap for cheap's sake, and get something totally junky, but I can't spend too much. The bikes I've tried so far are the Dahons -- Mariner, Speed 8, and Vitesse 5. I liked the Vitesse best of the three, but it's the $500 range -- probably the most I'd want to spend. I really want to try the Ciao 7, but it's not available in the US. Also, the cost would be greater -- but hub gears, low frame, and 7 speeds sounds pretty cool to me.

Originally Posted by Wavshrdr
Welcome to the forums. Hopefully you can find the guidance you need. Well if you want internal hub gears you don't have many choices. Based on your needs I highly suggest going with an internal hub. What sort of price range are you looking at? Go too cheap and you get lower quality and you can easily over pay. How important is weight or folded size? Any hills you have to contend with? A lot of women seem to gravitate toward the Brompton because of its compact fold and internal hub gears but you will spend more but it is the most compact package though not the lightest.

Give us a little more to go on. You can find Bromptons used for about the $500-600 range but I don't know if that is in your price range. If you did sell it though it retains a high percentage of its resale so you can effectively ride it for about $100/year or less. Without knowing what your budget is it is tough to advise. If you did happen to not like it, a Brompton will sell quite quickly. The last one I sold on eBay sold in less than 24 hours. Last Dahon I sold took longer and didn't retain near as much of its purchase price so don't factor in just original price to calculate total cost of ownership (TCO).

Of course don't buy anything you don't like but keep in mind any folder will have its quirks and you may need time to adjust to it. Ride as many as you can if possible and seek opinions from those you trust.