Old 03-27-06, 03:38 PM
Gordon Petrie

Bikes: Dahon Espresso; Dahon Helios. Phillips Boardwalk Lite: Trek Navigator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by james_swift
No, no, no! Awesome Swivelhead frame, but wrong tire size! Think about it: what is the very basic purpose of a folder? To take and stow in places that 26" bikes can't go. I've seen guys take Dahon Zero-G's and other full-size folders on the train, and even in folded state, they're still way too big and wide to be stored anywhere else but un-folded in the regular bike rack. So what's the point? Apart from taking up less space in your apartment living room, they would make a pretty tight fit in the trunk of a car, and certainly be unmanageable carrying into an office building (if they even let you in with it).
Like some other correspondents, I simply don't agree with James Swift's remarks about 26" folders. My wife and I mainly use 20" folders (Dahon Helios, Giant Halfway, Phillips Boardwalk Lite, etc.) and we ride these often wherever there are reasonably good conditions - e.g. on tarred cycleways and well surfaced paths. However 26" folders quite definitely have their place - especially on rough woodland paths and on certain canal towpaths and cycleways, where there are poor surfaces, numerous potholes, protruding stones, rutted stretches and often a large amount of loose gravel and stones. As I know from past experience, to try to ride these on a 20" folder is unpleasant at best and, at times, extremely uncomfortable with a good chance of coming off. However I also have a Dahon Espresso with 26" wheels equipped with Schwalbe Hurricane tyres which is a quite different proposition on these poor surfaces. I have just been riding parts of the West Highland Way and the Kelvin Walkway near Glasgow on the Espresso safely and with much enjoyment of the beautiful countryside. Whereas previously with the 20" folders, I simply had to get off and walk some parts of these trails such was the discomfort and potential danger. It seems to me that there are horses for courses and, for these rough conditions, the 26" wheeled folder is a more appropraite mount. So this Swivelhead bike that Chop has drawn our attention to will very definitely be of interest to part of the folding bike community.

As for his remarks about folding 26" wheeled bikes, I have not experienced any trouble about this. The Espresso folds just as easiily as our 20" folders. When folded up, it goes into the back of our small Honda Civic hatchback with the back seat folded down without any difficulty. There is plenty of room left to accommodate my wife's big dog (a standard poodle) as well! As for the local trains, they have spaces allocated for wheelchairs, prams, push-chairs, etc. in each carriage. The Espresso in its folded configuration takes up less space than many of these devices and I have found no difficulty in placing the bike in one of these allocated spaces. Nor have any difficulties arisen about using these spaces either with the train conductors or fellow passengers.

Gordon Petrie