View Single Post
Old 03-28-06, 05:54 PM
Stubacca

Bikes: '03 Fuji Roubaix Pro; '03 KleinGi Attitude; '06 Soma Rush; '04 Surly Cross-Check; '06 Soma Rush; '07 Scott CR1 / Chorus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
R800's a nice bike. I have been looking into a Cannondale roadie for a bit, and the R800 strikes me as a pretty good value bike.

I really like the ride of the CAAD8 frames. Only a couple of years ago, they were raced in the pro tour. Cannondale frames are known for being stiff, and the CAAD8 definitely is, but won't beat you up nearly as much as some early generation Cannondales - especially not bigger guys! It's particularly stiff around the bottom bracket, which translates into it being very eager to accelerate when you stand on the pedals. I haven't had a chance to try one on a climb, but I'm betting it would be pretty dang good.

It's nice that it's a 105 bike with a 105 crankset and brakeset - too often, manufacturers use alternative or no-name brands here to keep the cost down. Retail on the bike is $1549.99, which isn't bad for a bike with 105 10-speed. A 105 10-speed equiped Specialized Allez Comp retails for $1800. From reports I've read, the R550 wheels hold up reasonably well - mostly likely as good as any on a bike at this price.

If it fits you well, and you like the ride... get it!