Old 05-24-03, 09:33 PM
Michel Gagnon
Year-round cyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally posted by froze
I am confused boys and girls. Are the newer chains with the ramp pins designed for STI wearing out faster than the older chains that were designed for friction shifting?

I use a friction shifting system with a 7 speed freewheel. My chains last an average of 15,000 miles each; I replaced my freewheel last summer and it had 90,000 miles on it and my chain rings are still good after 90,000 miles.....

9-speed and 10-speed chains (and cogs) are said to last less time than 7/8 speed chains and even 5-speed chains. The 9-speed chain has been narrowed by narrowing the place where links are attached to eachother and by making rivets shorter. It makes the chain narrower yet still compatible with 8-spped stuff, but it makes it a bit less resistant.

An other factor to consider is how you use your bike and under what conditions. My 1980 bike which was once used for touring and now serves as a commuter has had the same chain until last year, some 50 000 km later. I replaced it... because I had to replace both wheels when the bike was damaged in a collision (it was still parked, BTW). After 1 year of all-season commuting (yes, even in snow), there is a little bit of chain stretch: a bit under 1/32". All that in 5000 km.

My tourercame with an 8-speed chain that didn't last. I replace it with a 9-speed chain and cogs. That chain has 9000 km shows no stretch at all.

Factors to consider:
- Fenders help preserve the chain by keeping road grit away from the drivetrail.
- Proper lubrication
- not putting too much weight on pedals, especially when shifting.

Regards,