View Single Post
Old 03-30-06, 01:59 PM
Wavshrdr
Folding bike junkie!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
FF - I appreciate your points. I only worry about resale value on bikes that are expensive. To me a $200 folder is a throw away bike. No offense intended but it isn't worth the hassle of trying to resell it. I will just donate it to someone else who can use it when I am done with it.

As for the cycling being a sport, it is! It is recognized as a sport by the Olympic Committee. We have cycling competitions but I haven't ever seen a competition for commuting (though I imagine they have had one somewhere). Unless you are making money from it, then it is not your job, profession or source of income. It may be a form of transportation but I use it for more than just commuting, therefore it is a sport to me. We don't get any tax breaks on buying a bicycle like you do in the UK. As a result any money that I spend is totally subsidized out of my pocket and I receive NO TAX benefit from it.

Many Americans live further from their places of employment than do most Europeans. We don't have our fuel taxed at a rate 3-5 times higher than the actual cost of the fuel like Europe does. That is why fuel costs $5-7/gal in Europe vs. the $2/gal in the US. It is all insipid taxes and a way to control people's behavior without being too obvious about it.

The Brompton C type is NOT a throwaway in my book. As a result I am more cautious about the money I spend on it. It may be the cheapest Brommie but it is far more expensive than the average folder purchased in the US.

Bicycling could never be my main form of transportation where I live. I incorporate it as much as possible. I have 3 kids and pets. There is no easy way to shuttle them around in the climate I have here. I make use of our bikes as much as possible but when it is -30C I am not getting my butt on a bicycle and riding anywhere. I pretty much draw the line at -15C. Not to mention the snow, ice and winds we have in the winter. It can never be my main source of transportation. I am a pretty avid cyclist but that just becomes insane to ride in that type of weather.

Just because I term a bike a throwaway doesn't mean it is a BAD bike. It is obviously low spec and it has its uses. I would ride it where I wouldn't want to risk a more expensive folder. Let's be real here. A basic Boardwalk has a crappy seat, single speed, mediocre tires and a non-adjustable handlebar stem. If you live in Florida and are between 5'8" and 6"1" its not going to be a terrible fit. If you are shorter or taller than then the bars are going to bug you. So next thing you know you are off buying the telescopic handlebar option. Drop another $40-50 on the bike and the price starts creeping up. Decide you want more gears and next thing you know it you have $350 invested in it. I don't buy a bike with the thought I am going to immediately sell it but I do factor in its future value so I can figure the TCO (total cost of ownership). Based on the my C type Bromptons are some of the cheaper bikes to own that I've experienced. DTs will probably have the worst resale value but I didn't pay much for them either so it is a wash. A Boardwalk may be all some people ever need or want and that is wonderful. A Boardwalk is not a terrible bike and it beats walking.

I try and bike everyday. I try to live a healthy lifestyle and encourage my children to do it as well. Cycling is just one aspect of that.