Old 05-25-03, 07:32 PM
Inoplanetyanin

Bikes: 96-97 Gazelle Medeo.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by EpsilonArmati

Lastly, I've always measured my tire pressure by squeezing them, but lately, I've read in many places warning how bad things can happen if I don't inflate them correctly, and how squeezing them is not a good way to measure the pressure. What's up with that? Is it just a marketing scheme to sell more fancy pumps made of some expensive metal with fifty gauges, or is there even a grain of truth to these dire warnings?

Alright. Thanks for reading. Please answer accordingly.

It's really your personal choice. If you ride a heavy loaded tourer, and the tire is thin and narrow, it will have to be inflated probably over 80 psi pressure, but at 80 it will already be hard as a rock to the finger feel. So, if you keep pumping, you might accidently pump over 120, that might be the maximum allowed pressure for that particular tire. In such a case, I would use a gage to be on the safe side...
I think bicycle tire is not as important as let's say motorcycle or auto tire. Those creat a lot of heat and if over inflated 0 have big chances of blowing up...

If you visually don't notice too little air and the rim is not touching the ground through the tire... It should be fine