Old 04-03-06, 12:47 PM
ed 

Bikes: Hecklah

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good deal on Trance

I have been oogling the Giant Trance ever since I read a review in MBA and test-rode one. Now there's a Trance4 on sale @ my LBS for $750. The fork on the Trance4 is a Manitou Axel=crap, so that would have to go byebye before it ever left the shop.

I just got a Fox Vanilla R 130 for my HT and converted it to 100mm. I'm trying my hardest not to go to that dadgum LBS, trade them my HKEK for their Trance and throw the Vanilla on it. That's like my dream-ride. All the other crap can be upgraded as it breaks, so it's a great deal to get back into a doo-boinger.

My only issue with the Anthem and Epic here in Kansas is that the only 3 trails in the area that I wouldn't enjoy racing on a HT would be best served on a trail bike with 4-5" of travel. The Midwest Fat Tire series race @ Farlington is freakin' rough. Tons of rocks/roots pokin' their ugly faces outta the trail.

Sure, it can be done...I rode it 2x this weekend on my beater HT, but it's not what I'd prefer to ride out there even if I were racing.

I guess what I'm saying is:

Epic vs. Anthem
or
Trance vs. Stumpy

There are 2 different categories of bike here that you're trying to get advice on and you need to ask yourself where most of your riding time will be spent. The extra 1"-1.5" of travel can be TONS more fun if you're not as worried about the drawbacks native to that type of bike. (more bobbing/more weight)

Think about this as well...Specialized has been using that freakin' Horst Link 4-bar forever. It's basically the same bike it was several years ago barring better dampers and a few small geometry changes here and there. Does that mean it's better or worse than the one-year-old Maestro design? Some people say you need to constantly evolve...other say "If it ain't broken don't fix it".

MBA is head-over-heals about the Trance...adversly, they say the Stumpjumper is still one of their fav's for a trail bike.

Personally, pro-pedal/terralogic/spv and all that stuff is just stiction. You want stiction, buy a Rockshox Judy. I would want my suspension totally active all the time. I love to see small roots on the trail and not be able to feel them as I roll over them. As far as I know (please correct me here if I'm wrong) with pro-pedal / pedaling platforms...the only thing that activates the suspension are the slightly larger bumps. (I'm sure you can set it however you want it) So, if you have a decent platform for pedaling, doesn't that equal harsher small-bump absorption?

Mind you this is just my opinion and I HUMBLY apologize for taking up so much space on this thread. I'd get the Trance for my local terrain.