Old 05-26-03, 11:19 PM
Wait

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by math2p14
Hi all

I would like to start a thread that poses some rather philosophical questions. It is not intented to criticise in any way the opinions or tastes of any members. Just a nice string of ideas.
My bike costs about 1600$. It is very likely at the moment that i cant push my bike to its limits (yet...). Looking around at prices etc i come across stuff like TiTus exogrid frames 3500$ for frame only, Cerotta 3000$ frame only and so on. On the same basis we have cranks that cost 1000$ (colnago) and so on. My idea is that apart from being a pro in need of every possible fraction of a second in a race ,every equipment from a certain level and beyond is just marketing for us (do we need XTR? NextLP? Titus Exogrid?) . The same of course goes for many consumer products...but i am a biker,this is a bike forum so bikes it is. Do we really need anything more than a good frame (up to 1000$) a good fork (500$) and a package of good components?(XT class). I know that many of us buy stuff for hype (me too...) its not bad...but recently i read an irritating article that proposed that half my bike needs overhauling after 6 months....and the article was intended for normal riders and not huckers pros or anything else..... i got the impression that they wanna get inside our pockets really good. Its business i agree...but up to a limit. We should consume...support the bike business...but not go to the extreme and pay the bills for high class executives that do marketing ploys.

Ok that was me....just chatting around...hopping this is interesting opinion to share... now i must go back to my studies...
I was just talking about this tonight... I think it is called perceived value... they make a product that costs them - the manufactures - (example) $50.00 to make and sell it for $300.00. And the product (lower end) that costs them $15.00 to make they sell it for $99.00. Now there product being sold for $300.00 has the best design and greatest "want" from the consumer. And the product they sell for $99.00 is poorly designed and lacks quality.

i.e. look at MTB shoes... You have a top of the line shoe with an excellent design and then you have a bottom of the line shoe that lacks integrity. They leave no middle ground, therefore pushing the consumer to buy the more expensive item.

And I believe with frames that cost $3000.00+ is a great example of “come on now.. everyone repeat after me” Perceived Value! Look at the amount of equipment / accessories / parts…etc that you get when buying a new motorcycle for the price of $3000.00 and then compare that to a MTB for the same price. Hmm…doesn’t that bother anyone else**********????