View Single Post
Old 08-31-01, 07:26 AM
epicycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been starting to research a bent but I am not sure that is something I would want to commute on until I did it a few times on a normal bike. I am not against owning 5 bike if I have to ... one for a different mood/condition of the road. I am a bit concerned about hand numbness and long term effects at having the right ergonomic position on the bike given the length of my commute.

I have a few options for my commute:

1. Half path Half road ... the path is crushed limestone and would be about 10 miles in length. I would then transfer onto 10-15 mile worth of Chicago roads heading into downtown. For those of you who haven't had the pleasure of riding in a huge metropolois lets just say ALL of the rules of the road we talk about have to be obeyed and performed pretty seamlessly else you get angry mobs of Chicagoans in their 2 ton chariots breathing down your neck.

2. All Road ... easily said, all road the whole 20-30 miles. Now, like the road above, I have the option to do a 6 lane (3 each way), 4 lane (2 each way), and 2 lane (1 each way). The more lanes I think the more room cars will have to pass me and the more safety I will have and since I will be riding straight the whole way (literally) I don't have to worry about any weird turns.

Ok, with that said, and with the knowledge that Chicago roads are not the "best" maintained roads (potholes, cracks, etc) ... do any of your bikle choices change? Other suggestions? My LBS doesn't carry Bianchi but I can ask them if one of their sister stores does, I am sure it does.

Any more comments, questions, or suggestions?

Sean