Old 04-07-06, 12:48 PM
cascade168
Klaatu barada nikto

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by operator
Don't buy into this shimano 105 or higher garbage. Dual pivots brakes are dual pivots.
Go to probikekit.com and pickup a set of long reach tektro dual pivot brakes. They're about 40 something bucks.

I'm sure other who've used tektro stuff will chime in about their quality & price. That said if you really need to have 105 dual pivots (do they make those in long reach?), they're on that same site for around $70.

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=A8065

Oh and uh free shipping to states/canada.
Sorry to disagree, but I own both Shimano and Tektro. The Tektros are fine, but they are not of the same quality as 105's or Ultegra's. The Tektros are a decent knockoff of Shimano dual pivots, but noticeably not as good. For example, the little centering adjustment screw is a philips head that sticks out on the Tektros and it's a nice, recessed allen head on the Shimanos. The machining and the finish on the Shimanos is also noticeably better. The one thing that Tektro has going for it is that they make an "extra long" reach caliper that I don't think anyone else makes. I am using one of those on the rear brake for an old steel frame that was formerly used with 27" wheels. When I went to 700C, that was the only caliper I could find that had sufficient reach.

And, no, they don't make 105s, or Ultegras in long reach. That's exactly what the R600s are for.