View Single Post
Old 04-11-06, 04:42 AM
RockyMtnMerlin

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, two responses from mechs say on the job training is as good as or better than going to a school. I have been a consumer of LBS mech services for over 25 years in multiple locations. I have also been to Barnnet Bicycle Institute basic course (just for the fun of it). I can't speak to the abilities of the posters above,they might be great mechanics. And, if you are lucky and can find a shop that has a "master mechanic" then you might do well. But I'm here to tell you that there are at least some shops who have mechs who don't know what they are doing. I have been into shops (with a $5000 bike) where the mechs actually bragged about not using torque wrenches. Now that mght be okay when working on a cheap bikes without high end alloy and carbon components, but its not okay on my bike. I have also been in shops where the "master mechanic" was apparently too busy to oversee the work of the guy who was learing on the job. That resulted in stripped threads in the stem, a dent in the top tube, and handle bar tape wrapped the wrong way. The owner made it all right but it was a PITA waiting for the new stem and having the bike out of commission. I have also been into shops where the mechs were top notch and the service was great. Bottom line, the learning on the job thing might turn out great for you. But, if you have the time and money, I believe you would be well served going to a place like BBI.