View Single Post
Old 05-30-03, 03:49 PM
Flaneur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is it you'd like to know about Woodrup cycles? I've owned a couple and used to live in Leeds- they were my local shop!

A number of the great bespoke frame builders in England pay little more than lip service to websites; they know they have to play the game, but really they are in the frame business and everything else is a necessary evil.

Cyclists in West Yorkshire are totally spoilt for choice of builders. Imagine deciding between Ellis-Briggs, Bob Jackson, Pennine and Woodrup (amongst others)! I always had the feeling Woodrup were pretty conservative- they were club riders and road racers at heart and paid little attention to fashions....like mountain biking! I never saw a Woodrup that wasn't well finished, but they weren't flashy- no exotic angles or custom designs. If you knew the language you could get good advice from them but if you were not local or inexperienced, the customer service could be a little general and vague. Best that you knew exactly what you were after.....

Both my Woodrups were 531, but I know they were a highly skilled team and built lots of 753 stuff.

There is a chapter about the company in "The Custom Bicycle", by Michael J. Kolin and Denise M. de la Rosa (1979, Rodale Press) Quite a good reader for everyone on this board, actually.......

I won't ramble on....what specifically would you like to know, I might be able to point you in the right direction?

eric