Old 04-14-06, 02:27 PM
bccycleguy

Bikes: Trek 7300FX, Lemond Sarthe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sth
No matter how you cut it, leaving Vancouver at sea level means hills hills hills. My suggestion would be to take the southern route along Highway 3. At least 4 BIG passes to conquer but scenic overall. You could also take Hwy 5 up to Jasper then on to Edmonton. Not as much climbing but along way around. My biggest suggestion would be to avoid the Trans-Canada from Kamloops to Banff. It is very busy in the summer and it is narrow and in less than perfect condition in spots.

If you are taking the ferry from Victoria to Vancouver and plan to head into Vancouver, you CANT ride thru the tunnel. Dangerous and illegal. You can hop on a transit bus (they have front racks but you would likely have to remove the panniers etc or you could hire a cab. The only other logical way to get across the river is a long detour to the Alex Fraser bridge.

Heading east you want to get yourself to Hwy 7 on the north side of the Fraser river. Less congested.
After Hope it is decent highway riding.

Hope that helps.
Take Hwy. 7 to Hope, Hwy 5 Coquihalla to Kamloops or 5C Coquihalla Connector to Kelowna and TC to Banff. The Trans-Canada is a fast, unforgiving highway, not my choice for a holiday but people cycle it, pass the snow sheds by going around them. IMO Highway 3 from Hope and then 93 via Radium is a better route. Be prepared to camp.