Part of the furniture

Bikes: Specialized RH, Scott Unitrack

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Frame life

Hi all

I know this is a discussion maybe overly done here but i read some forums around and i got some questions. I was under the impression that bikes are quality items and dont just die like a cheap toaster after 3 yrs. Several guys on a UK forum swear that an allu frame has a mean-lifetime of 3-5 years max. Ok Ok if you jump something then its fair to be even less than 3 yrs of life on a frame. But cmon ....its not bloody plastic tubes and superglue, its well researched alloy tubes we are talking about... Bikes, (old ones) used to last a lifetime.... Is it a crap situation with modern frames or is it just some guys that snap frames easily and get these stories around?
I dont need a frame to last a lifetime for being my primary bike...but lets say in 5-7 years that i might wanna change bikes ...i would like to give my bike to a nephew or something...or just have it as a replacement bike.... and if in reality a frame only lasts 5 years max because its made of allu...then i am sorry but this sucks. Offroad bikes should endure off road riding (not hucking jumping or dropping though). I wonder....do motorcycle frames or cars made of allu snap as well? I get the impression that allu is more durable that advertised by some guys than swear about their 4130 jump frames.

Yannis.