View Single Post
Old 04-16-06, 06:15 AM
LWaB

Bikes: Early Cannondale tandem, '99 S&S Frezoni Audax, '65 Moulton Stowaway, '52 Claud Butler, TSR30, Brompton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
GSR is 1000 miles from where I live. I'm not too fond of riding in the rain, so I haven't done BMB either.

Solo rides are the hardest, interesting company help the miles go by. Unsupported rides are next. It makes a difference to me if someone notices whether I finish or not - not just for the ego thing (I know the crew just need to tick me off their list) but otherwise I could just be out for any old ride. Nothing wrong with that (I enjoy touring), but to me being part of a big event justifies the shiny medal, an unsupported event feels less 'valid' somehow. If the organiser doesn't make a big deal of organising it, I can't make a big deal of riding it.

I suppose that is why PBP feels so good. It isn't only the riders or the organisers and checkpoint crews, it seems like the whole of France wants you to finish too. After all, there are prettier 1200s to ride...

Just for interest's sake, the Alpine Classic is a hilly 200 (with shorter options) http://www.audax.org.au/alpine.htm and hit 42 degrees last year.