Old 04-17-06, 01:11 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
I earlier thought this had occurred on a road, not a bike path, sorry for my poor reading skills.

I agree with above posters, bike paths are no place for anyone serious about bike riding.

In addition to their design flaws they are generally too short to be worth the trouble, and you can't safely make it more of a ride by cranking up the speed, since most riders are just puttin along. Also most of the users are very inexperienced and not highly safety concious.

The only major bike path in my area is also open to walkers, who always walk 2-4 abreast and usually ignore bike bells, polite calls of "to your left", etc. Once on a ~20 foot wide section of this path (its actually on old roadbed), i was forced to stop and wait briefly by a single woman who was walking in the middle of the path, with two dogs on leashes. Each dog was standing on opposite shoulders of the path, with an extendable leash blocking the two ~10 foot sections of road to the right and left of the woman. IMO dog leashes should be limited by federal law to maximum length of ~ 4 feet to protect dogs from their oblivious owners.

Find a nice rural area to ride.