View Single Post
Old 04-20-06, 02:21 PM
zzxxyy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BroMax
Opinion: I do not like touring at all therefore never do it. It gives me no enjoyment whatsoever.

Insult: Touring is for old, fat people.

There can be a world full of differing opinions and I agree that it would be pretty boring if everyone were to think the same. The opinion as I have stated it is rather strongly expressed but if it were delivered in a tone of personal disclosure rather than put-down, I might see it as an invitation to dialogue.

In the second instance, as reported by babysaph, the guy is saying that something babysaph likes is for the wrong kind of people, rendering babysaph in a category of people he finds repulsive. It's tantamount to saying he finds his customer repulsive.

A response that makes it clear that such communication is unacceptable, such as walking out the door, is a demonstration of self-respect.

While I'm on this subject, as far as I know there is no law that prohibits being either old or fat....or tactless.
Absolutely, but we do not know how the delivery was do we? The bike owner/salesman could have said it with a wink and a smile. Then it is no longer an insult but rather a playful poke. The point is that across the internet, there are many things which we as readers could not know.

What I would do, is to let it go, and if I knew it was intended as an insult, not to go to the shop again. Afterall, why let a total stranger affect your enjoyment of the sport? It is simply not worth it to get all worked up over a nasty, obnoxious, crazy, rude salesperson at the bikeshop. Btw, the above is just my personal view. YMMV.