Old 04-22-06, 06:15 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I agree ... and just to add to the "People are willing to help" bit .....

If you browse through your yellowpages, you might be surprised what you find. When I lived in Winnipeg I discovered:

1) Pet taxi service - a lady would drive me and my cats to the vet, help us into the vet, sit with us, and drive us back home ...... all for $15. Unfortunately she stopped doing that after a number of years, and then I had to rely on taxis. Still only about $15 round trip, but I had to carry all my cats myself.

2) Grocery shopping and delivery service - I burnt my foot very, very badly several years ago. Without a vehicle, and unable to even move out of my chair or bed for more than a few minutes at a time, I couldn't very well go grocery shopping. That's when I found the grocery shopping service. For 15% of the total bill, I could email my list of groceries to the lady, and specify up to 2 different stores for the items, and she would shop for me, and carry the whole works up to my apartment for me. So, for example, if my total order came to $100, her charge would be $15 for a total of $115.00. That was a GREAT deal for me!!

3) Other delivery services - most furniture and appliance stores offer "free" delivery. The delivery charges are included in the price of the furniture or appliances ... so you might as well take advantage of the "free" delivery. I furnished my apartment that way.

4) Homecare Nursing - if you are injured in such a way that you have to pay daily visits to your doctor (i.e. severe burns which need daily dressing changes), you can arrange to get homecare nursing. A homecare nurse will come to your house, instead of having to take a taxi to the doctor's office. The best part is that this is a free service.

There are all sorts of things available to make life without a vehicle quite easy! You just have to do a bit of research.

Last edited by Machka; 04-22-06 at 06:44 PM.