View Single Post
Old 05-08-06, 03:26 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bruce Rosar
A clean and marked segregated facility may be better in a practical sense than a dirty and unmarked segregated facility, but both are inferior to the integrated facility known as the traveled way.*

*the portion of the roadway for the movement of vehicles, exclusive of the shoulders, berms, sidewalks, and parking lanes
Tell me, what is the practical difference between the MUPTC's "traveled way" and a clean and clear bike lane? Because, um... your quoted statement above applies to bike lanes in that they are "exculsive of shoulders, berms, sidewalks and parking lanes." Can you do this based on your own experiences without resorting to canned arguments (I can get those off a website)? In practice, do you shun this "clean and marked segregated facility" at all times (I'm not just referring to when it is obvious to shun it, such as near parked cars and such)?

Or is it just the "segregation" aspect you object to?
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter