Thread: Cold Feet!
View Single Post
Old 10-09-00, 03:02 PM
pat5319

Bikes: Seven Axiom Ti, Trek 620, Masi cylocross (steel). Masi Souleville 8spd, Fat Chance Mtn. (steel), Schwinn Triple Bar cruiser, Mazi Speciale Fix/single, Schwinn Typhoon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cold feet

Larger Shoes are a must, you need the extra "dead air space" to keep warm when it's really cold. I have shoes one size larger than my summer pairs, with these I can use a liner,(wool, olefin, polypro. etc.) and two medium layers, (wool). If I put the end of a plastic bag, muffin bags work great, over my toes it cuts the wind well enough I rarely have to use booties.
NEVER use cotton socks, if they get wet you're toast.

Covering your ears and neck really help keep your feet warm too, I use earmuffs, scarves etc.

When it's really cold, below zero, I use my Sorels. Sorels are heavy duty "Pack boots" with wool felt replacable-liners, and can be found in general sport stores or where hunting gear is sold. I have to use a bike with platform pedals though.
I've heard you can make them work with look pedals by: filling the lugs with body putty, drilling holes through the soles and attaching the cleats with screws, maybe a bit longer than "stock", and t-bolts with corresponding threads on the inside of them , the screws are "screwed into" the T-bolts which are inserted into the boot from the inside.

[Edited by pat5319 on 10-09-2000 at 05:05 PM]