View Single Post
Old 05-17-06, 07:23 AM
apw55

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I frequently ride a 1967 Schwinn Racer, which, to my knowledge, is original except for the tires and tubes. I also ride a late 1940’s Schwinn Continental frame that I bought minus several major components (wheels, seat, handlebars, fenders). I built it up Clubman style, with vintage (though not necessarily ‘40’s) components. I also have a Paris Sport that I bought new in, to the best of my recollection, 1972. Presently, it gets less use than the two Schwinns.

When I ride to work (6.5 mi. ‘round trip), I use the Racer. I ride all three on recreational rides, typically between 12.5 and 25 mi. For longer or steeper rides, I use a modern road bike.

As a note: I’m sure that most are familiar with the ‘70’s version of the Continental which was build around one of Schwinn’s typical, heavy Electro-Forged steel frames. The ‘40’s version was quite a different beast. It’s most common form was that of the traditional English light roadster (sportster) with either a single speed hub or 3 speed Sturmey Archer hub. The frame is fillet-brazed, Chrome Moly tubing and is therefore considerably lighter than later Schwinn 3 speeds. In it’s current form (no fenders) mine is about 10lbs lighter than the Racer. There was also a Clubman version offered though I’ve yet to see one (and I have been looking).

Regards,
Alan