View Single Post
Old 05-20-06, 10:43 AM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by UmneyDurak
I deflated the tire today. Everything seemed to take. I will be using it in Mt. hamilton Classic race. So if you never hear from me again, you'll know why.
Basically I applied first generious layer on rim (didn't remove old layer since it was very very thin).
Inflated a tire to 20 psi. Applied a layer to a tire. It had big patches with no glue.
Let it dry for 24 hours.
Applied another layer to the rim. By the end I was running out of glue in a tube. So I didn't apply as much as I wanted.
Put the tire on. Inflated to 100 PSI, and let it dry for 48 hours.
I am planning on taking it for a test ride, and trying to see if anything dislodges. Better on a test ride then at 30+mph down hill on a turn. Any recommendations of what I should try? I was planning on twisting it left and right while rolling slowly, taking some turns sharply.

I think for my rear rim (if it ever shows up) I'll use tufo tape. Just need to do research on it first. To see how well it will work with carbon rims and conti tire. Althought the link above didn't really reflect too favorably on it.
To test it, inflate to riding psi. Grab the tire and rim with both hands next to each other at 12 oclock position. Hang on as hard as you can as you rotate your wrists forward. If it moves at all and starts to peal away, its not glued right.

I would not ride it if its not perfect, especially in a race where you will get sanctioned, like suspended for a number of races etc. if you roll a tire. And your going to have "lotsa splaining to do" to some very mad racers if you take someone with you when you crash.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1