cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,391 Times in 2,092 Posts
Originally Posted by bitsnpieces1
Ah, but that's the point. The Schwinn 1 3/8 is the same width as the English 1 1/4. I measured my 26 x 1 3/8 tires inflated at 55 psi and they are just about up to 1 1/4 inches wide.
Not exactly. The American 26X1-3/8"/S-6 is larger then most all forms of the English 26X1-1/4"/EA1.

As for the validity of the tyre's actual measured width compared to the fractional measurement on the sidewall, you can dispense with this method - it is rarely accurate, particularly in this case.

That doesn't seem like a balloon tire to me. I have been under the impression that balloon tires are around 2 inches wide. The Schwinn 26 x 1 3/8 tire is used on Lightweights NOT Middleweights. Remember I'm not including super flyweight Tour de France type models and we're talking a 1960-'80 standard.
I didn't say balloon, I said middleweight, although in retrospect, I should have specified the tyre as being for Schwinn's lightweight models. However, may I note that Schwinn's lightweight models that wore the S-6 tyres are closer to being diamond-frame middleweights then lightweight touring machines. Not because of weight, mind you, but because of the S-6 tyre.

Also the tire states it's for EA-1 STRAIGHT SIDE rims, not a hooked bead. My Schwinn rim measures right at 1 1/4 inches wide on the outside. The English 1 1/4 tire it's talking about is probably an older English standard.
Comparing rim width to the fractional size is also incorrect. If it were, please explain this: If the Schwinn tyre/rim (whichever you want) measures 1-1/4" wide exactly, how come they call it a 26X1-3/8"?

At any rate the idea of the post was to let people that were looking for 26 x 1 3/8 tires for their Schwinns that they are readily available at a Schwinn dealer at a reasonable price and an English 26 x 1 1/4 straight side rim tire might fit. They would need to check it out.
That is known. The American 26X1-3/8" S-6 size tyre is by no means obsolete, any shop should have brand new Kenda S-6 tyres in black or gumwall for sale. Shops that do not can order them, and shops that can't/won't order them are to be avoided.

Whether someone can fit an EA1 tire to an S-6 rim is pretty much a moot issue though, for the EA1 size is technically obsolete in the U.S. There are a few shops that may have NOS EA1 tires on hand, or you can purchase a the EA1 Schwalbes from Harris, but they're not commonly available items anymore, particularly the high-pressure narrow EA1 tyres as used on some '80s roadbikes (Fuji's S-10 comes to mind).

May I suggest that you order one of the Schwalbe EA1 tyres that Harris currently sells to compare with the Kenda S-6 tyres - you will notice the difference between the two immidiately.

Take care,

-Kurt