View Single Post
Old 06-02-06, 07:47 PM
cybrmarc
bicycle reanimator

Bikes: Raleigh Touring 18, Bridgestone MB-4 singlespeed, dumpstered Bridgestone Kabuki(?) singlespeed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
aspiring unsprted tourer

Heylo everyone - nice resource here for finding out stuff.

Never been much into cycling, but recently I decided to get into "unsupported touring" (aka homelessness on wheels). My plan is to ditch my parents' house and just start riding.

Went on craigslist and found myself an older Raleigh touring bike for $50, racks and everything (http://cybrmarc.tripod.com/bike/). Have been trying to get it right - bought some wald cruiser ("touring") bars, and they're nice and shiny and comfy for relaxed upright riding..but if there's any wind or I need to change positions I'm screwed. So I just ordered some nashbar trekking bars today, can't wait to throw those on.

So far I had to learn how to replace brake levers/cables and fiddle with center-pulls when I took off my drop bars, and I'm eager to learn more. I picked up some 3-in-1 and some degreaser today and I plan to start dissasembling the whole bike tommorow to clean and re-lube it. Time for some learnin'! I was going to pick up a book or two at the library on bike maint. to help me through it - does anyone have any suggestions on a good book?

BTW I'm located in New Hampshire. I plan to be leaving within a week or two and I'll be riding around at least in this state and Maine, might go up to the white mountains, but considering I plan to dumpster food (don't want to spend any $ if possible) that might be difficult up there in the boonies!

-marcus