Old 06-28-03, 08:04 PM
Electricview

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Advice for beginner / very low cost bike..

Hello forum readers and posters! first let me apologize if i have the wrong forum, I couldn't decide if I should post here or the casual rider..

I am new to bicycling (tho i'm 24 i rode as a kid) and What my goal is to get some excercise.. I spend too much time in doors, so what i will mainly be doing is street riding.. I will probably on ocasion go over bumps and into some dirty/ small rocky trails.. nothing big or bad.. Anyways thast why i decided its a mountain bike i want.. (as well as a good 21 different gear positions).. Please excuse any mis used termonology i use as i'm new!

Here's my current situation, i went out and paid 229 for a diamondback comfort Wildwood 02 bike.. sure i probably got ripped off.. and after you finish laughing you can read on further why i'm posting I didnt know much about mountain bikes, it looked like more quality then the bike at the fred meyer! I originally only wanted to spend like 80 or 90 bucks for some bike that would work, my cousin recommend i go to the local sports store and get something a little more quality.. I walked out with the diamond back.. I wasn't aware its more of a old folks bike (my cousin teases me) becuase the seat has springs and a shock built into the seat pole.. the front forks have shocks too.. The bike rides pretty smoothly.. but its got a metal body and their website claims it weighs 32 pounds...

So my cousin came over to see it today and we went out and about just to look at other bikes.. anyways some stores have a few lower model bikes for around 279.. (even more then I've spent which in turn was more than I originally intended to spend) Anyways he went over some points which i find valid.. That getting one of these slightly more expensive bikes (I think one of them was a gary fisher wahoo? the other was a TREK?) anyways that one of these other bikes would be of much better quality, last me longer, and in turn be a found pounds lighter which would GREATLy increase my enjoyment of bicycling? I'm very skeptical that 2 to 4 pounds off the bike can really increase my enjoyment that much, but he assures me i will ride faster and be able to ride up hills a-lot easier..

I understand if you tied a 2 or 4 pound weight to me it would be a little harder for me to get up hils or to go in general, but i'm just wondering if that extra lightness of the bike will REALLY impact it to that degree.. I sorta like the looks of the diamond back as well as the cushy feeling the seat and front fork gives i'm growing a little attached to it as well as i'm not sure if i want to go through the hassle of returning it to buy another bike somewhere else.. (tho it is getting a wierd slight click problem that seems to be coming from either the pedal or the crank shaft area there whenever i am putting torque on it)...

So what i'm wondering is your guys opinion.. Mostly i'll do street riding.. and probably paved or mostly clean trails.. The 10 speed looking bikes with the super thin wheels never really appealed to me.. I definately wont be going over very harsh terrian, but an occasional excursion into some dirty area with gritty path is probably expected.. So i'm pretty sure I want to stick with a mountain bike design/tires..

Will getting one of these other brands make that much of a noticable difference to me? I wouldn't mind staying interested in bicycling and losing some pounds and i think its probably pretty good excercise.. I dont see myself riding 20 miles every day.. and I dont think i'll be upgrading the bike much .. There is a posisblity i could get bored with the whole thing and the bike might just sit on my deck for years after that.. I dont want that to happen.. my cousin insists if i get a lighter bike and can go faster and have less resistance and takle hills easier that it will make it more enjoyable for me and keep me interested..

I dont disagree that an aluminum frame and lighter weight are appealing.. I just thought i'd get your guyses opinions..

also please feel free to recommend bikes, i'd DEFINATELY like to stay under 300, but since i'm considering the 279.99 for some of the bikes up here.. i guess i'm willing to go that high.. I originally wasn't.. but i guess i got wooed by the diamond back... looks mean a little to me, i like the nice grey blue paintjob of my diamond back, i wasn't thrilled with the dark green paintjob of the gary fisher.. (i think thats what the name was)... Suggestions are greatly welcomed.. I'm sorry for being such a 'newbie' but i didnt know where else to go for good advice...

thanks in advance any of you who read through this HUGE long post..