View Single Post
Old 06-08-06, 09:51 AM
BikeFleet

Bikes: Specialized Allez (base model triple with upgrades), Specialized Sirrus frankenbike, much-loved beater bike/soon to be street fix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hybrid v. Road

I own a hybrid and a road bike. Mostly I use my road bike to commute because it's a lot faster and I just enjoy riding it more, though sometimes the going is a little rough because I ride on some nasty streets to get to work here in NYC. However, when it's pouring rain like it has been lately, I like the hybrid because it has wider tires and those awesome v-brakes that are great and reliable in the rain. Also, I have it set up with fenders and bits of it wrapped in tubes, so I don't worry about it getting dirty and gritty (except the drive train, which I clean regularly).

I will also say that before I discovered that I'm a road bike person at heart, I rode that hybrid everywhere, every day. It was a great bike for me, especially as my first "nice bike" as an adult (previously I trashed a series of cheap crappola bikes). But once I got used to the road machine it became my regular ride.

Regarding that bike you sent a link to -- $600 USD? My Specialized Sirrus cost less than that brand new at the beginning of the model year, and I think it has nicer components. It's taken quite a beating and still runs like new, even after a New York winter (and yes, I did ride it through both blizzards). Tough little bike, and it is also nice looking (for a hybrid) and fast (for a hybrid). I put Armadillo tires on it and it was good to go (though I hate the suspension seatpost -- if I had known I would hate it I bet the LBS would have switched it out for me).